Monday, February 11, 2013

Virginia Doctor

10:23pm
Sent this about the Dr. to family earlier in the week and forgot to put it on here. 
After praying, going through the list sent to me by the Brain Injury Assoc. of Va., making some phone calls, following up on recommendations, closed doors (not taking new patients, new patient appt. not until June, out-of-network with BCBS, etc.), I have cancelled the appt. with the Center for Neurorehab (out-of-network) and made an appointment with Dr. Timothy Silver, who is the Medical Director of Sheltering Arms Hospital South in Midlothian, VA (suburb of Richmond). I was hoping to be in that area (just ease of location/distance), but had about given up on that. Curiously enough, he was not on the BIAV list, not recommended by anyone, but in the same practice as a Dr. that was recommended so I am trusting that the Lord's hand is in all of this. After making the appointment, I found the following pdf online, which is very encouraging and informative. We have an appointment April 18.  http://www.nicholasrizzo.com/arp//silverbio.pdf

Mom, Dad and I had a good talk last night. I just wanted to talk openly now that we've all had a week to get a feel for what it would be like to live together.  This will not be easy and will be a big adjustment for everybody. I am so grateful for my wonderful, loving parents who are willing to take us in and support us in any way they can. They are sacrificing a lot of peace and quiet and it will definitely be a disruption to their norm. I hope we'll be moved in the weekend before Easter. Mom and I try to work together to get meals served and cleaned up and keep the laundry going; although, there are times she's left with the majority of it, if I'm having to deal with Mike.  Mike stayed with Daddy tonight while Mom and I went to pick up their car and a pizza. When we got back, Mike had eaten almost an entire box of Vanilla Wafers and a partial bag of dates.  He was very determined to have the pizza RIGHT NOW! too, but we were able to hold him off and get it all on the table.  This morning his "flight pattern" was: up the stairs, into the bedroom, down the stairs, around the kitchen island, back up the stairs. He must have done this 10 times.  I was standing at the island checking e-mails, etc., and he started patting my head when he went by - was very sweet. We did a little organizing and cleaning in the "upper room" down at the milking parlor, where we may be able to store some things, and when I was giving him a shower, I thought he was going to fall backward he was so tired. But once out of the shower, he didn't want to sit or lie down. Just started his pacing. Tonight he was so tired, but resisted going upstairs. We played a few card games and then I set him up with his iPad and let him be for a while.  Finally got him upstairs and then had to wrestle with him to get him ready and in bed.  He literally almost falls over he is so tired, but his mind must be telling him to stay up, keep walking, you might miss something, or whatever. At one point today, I did make him sit on the couch/recliner and you could tell his body was exhausted, but his eyes held such fear. He just lay there, but his eyes were fixed on me and he looked so afraid.  I just wonder if he feels trapped in his own body, can't express what he's thinking or if he's in a lot of pain and the constant motion is to try to do something about it.  If I ask him, he is telling me he has pain more now than before.  I'm trying to keep ahead of it, but so hard to know. I did go back to giving him the neurontin and I think that helps.

I've started sleeping in the next bedroom and have gotten 6 hours of sleep straight the last couple of nights.  Is also nice because I can read before I go to bed, get up and have time with the Lord and get myself ready for the day before he gets up.  When we are in the same room, as soon as he hears me get up, he gets up. I really need that time. Mom has a devotional book on the night stand in this room called "Daily in His Presence" by Andrew Murray with Bruce Wilkinson.  The beginning devotions are about taking the time to adore God and seek Him just for Him.  Not what He can do for me, or my long list of prayer requests, but just desiring to be with Him.  To yearn for Him. Isaiah 26:9 My soul yearns for you in the night.  And to be quiet and listen to God.  This was also the subject of the sermon Sunday. Just like it is hard for Mike to stop and rest, we too can be just like that. Unable to stop our minds from the myriad of thoughts, to do lists, plans, and schedules long enough to be still and quiet before God.  I love this quote from the January 5 devotion "Who would dispute the fact that when a human being in his or her insignificance meets with God in His glory, that which God has to say must have infinitely more worth than what that person has to say?"  Have you ever been with someone who barely takes a breath, and you can tell doesn't really hear you when you speak, because they are jumping in and talking over you? More concerned with what they have to say than anything you could share or say?  I think that's how most of my conversations with God go.  I have a very hard time quieting my mind.  So that's my challenge - to work at adoring and desiring God for who He is and quieting my mind so I can really listen to Him - for I know what He has to say is of far greater worth and I need to hear every word. Love you all.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Jennifer for sharing your heart! We'll be praying for you to adore and desire God for who He is and quiet your mind so that you can listen to Him. I have trouble doing this, and when I do relax enough just to meet with Him, many times I end up falling asleep :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan, I have that problem sometimes myself! Thanks so much for your prayers. I'll pray for you to be able to stay awake too!

      Delete
  2. You indicated that Mike was "checking e-mails." Can/should we write/address messages directly to him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, no, he doesn't check e-mails, I was. He has received some letters just to him and depending on the day, he either enjoys reading them or ignores them completely. One day, hopefully. :-)

      Delete

If you would like to know when I respond to your comment, click on the box "Notify Me" in the bottom right corner of the comment block.